This guide will help students in choosing an appropriate research design methods for their studies. This guide was created in close collaboration with Dr. Anna Cohenmiller, Assistant Professor from NU Graduate School of Education.
A research design is a phase in your research where you plan to seek answers to your research questions. There are many approaches to research design and some of them will be discussed in this LibGuide.
- Quantitative Research - approach for testing existing theories which aims to prove or disprove them.
- Qualitative Research - approach to explore and investigate meaning, purpose, or reality of activities and events.
- Mixed Methods Research - approach to combine quantitative and qualitative data.
- Arts-based Research - approach to analyze aesthetic qualities in the area of creative arts.
- Community-based Participatory Research - approach to involve non-academic stakeholders to promote research collaboration.
Leavy, P. (2017). Research design: Quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods, arts-based, and community-based participatory research approaches. New York: The Guilford Press.