Nazarbayev University (NU) Library was established in September of 2010. The NU Library develops to become the center of intellectual life of the University.
The Virtual Assistant NURIA (Nazarbayev University Reference and Information Assistant) is introduced to provide accurate and reliable answers to library-related questions in no time.
Opening of ASEA book corner. The official ceremony of the ribbon cutting was jointly led by His Excellency Dr Mochamad Fadjroel Rachman (Ambassador of the Republic of Indonesia to the Republic of Kazakhstan), His Excellency Dato’ Syed Mohamad Bakri bin Syed Abd Rahman (Ambassador of Malaysia to the Republic of Kazakhstan), Her Excellency PHAM Thai Nhu Mai (Ambassador of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam to the Republic of Kazakhstan), and Dr Orathai Phubunlap Gunaseelan (Chargé d'affaires, A.I. of the Royal Thai Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan).
- The Social Development Fund grant is received for MIL projects.
- Virtual Library InfoLit Race Challenge received a prestigious American Library Association (ALA) Presidential Citation for Innovative International Projects, the award was presented by American Library Association (ALA).
- The first online Eurasian Academic Libraries Conference (EALC).
- Transformation of PE NULITS to Nazarbayev University.
- Second NU Library’s SDG Story published in IFLA Library Map of the World.
- Ziyat Abdykaimov, Expert Manager for Assistive Technologies and Accessibility at the NU Library has initiated a project entitled "Digital Inclusion" which aims to improve access to digital infrastructures such as websites, mobile applications and other online services for people with disabilities.
- Book sanitizer and sterilization machines are used for quick book desinfection in reading rooms.
- First NU Library Story on IFLA Story Map of the World.
- Open Access Policy is approved by the Academic Council to encourage the university community to support open and sustainable scholarly communication.
- The opening of the Pep Corner in the Library - the place where our patron can find a corner to relax, to collaboratively create ideas, and to relieve the bad stress they earned during a long day of academic work.
- Opening of the Children’s Reading Room.
- Portable information induction system “Istok A2” for communication with users with hearing impairment and workstation for users with motor impairments are purchased;
- Relax Room is allocated as a rest room at night for graduate and PhD students;
- Participation of the library staff member in development of the NU Concept for creating conditions for people with disabilities and special needs.
- The Opening of Korea Corner in the library.
- The Opening of Library extension building with multifunctional spaces.
- Opening of the Office of Assistive Technologies.
- Services of book delivery and reserving books are arranged.
- First Library Info-Lit Race Challenge.
- First Media and Information Literacy Forum.
- A revitalized Information Literacy Program was introduced with four modules.
- The grant by the International Advocacy Program of IFLA for conducting a two-days training for Central Asian public librarians about UN Agenda 2030.
- Introducing 24/7 hours.
- “The best library of the year 2018” award by the Elsevier International Company at the «Scopus Award 2018» ceremony.
- The Opening of the Medical School Library.
- The Springshare application LibAnswer is implemented for Ask a Librarian service.
- The service Make an Appointment is introduced.
- Week of Women in partnership with GenCon.
- The service Recommend a Title is offered to support.
- The first School of Library Technologies – a week-long seminar aimed at the professional development of staff in academic libraries.
- ArtLit I - the art project of tribute to the beauty of striving for perfection “human reader (homo legens)” and searching for inner harmony between the images of past and present represented in the paintings and photographs.
- May. First Human Library launched at the library.
- The Library of Congress Classification System to organize the books collection is implemented and replaсes the Universal Decimal Classification System.
- EBSCO Discovery Service is run as a single search for electronic resources.
- ProQuest’s Summon discovery tool is implemented.
- The first issue of NU Library Digest is published. The regular news digest with users and overview of changes, new resources, and services were distributed until 2016.
- The first training for Kazakhstani librarians is conducted and starts the sharing experience program.
- The Library becomes a member of the International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA).
- The Digital Center is established.
- The library becomes a member of the Association of University Libraries of Kazakhstan.
- The first collection of microfiches on “Central Asia” is arrived.
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) service is launched for NU community.
- Libguides are introduced to help you to start research, answer the questions, or find the resources about a particular subject or course of study.
- The Library Committee is established.
- The MTC (Monorail Transport System) for book transferring through the library departments is implemented.
- First launched the service Ask-a-Librarian.
- Arrived first scanner for digitizing the book.
- Launched the annual event The Library Roadshow - it is a traditional event when library presents its Resources, Services, Statistics, Projects and etc for NU Community.
- September. The Opening of NU Library. The arrival of the first 200 books for collection.
- December. The Open Public Access Catalog is introduced.
- Started subscription on Database.
- Applied the latest identification technologies based on RFID system
- Arrived first equipment of Assistive Technologies (digital typhlocomplex).
- Automatic Book Dusting Machine.